Wednesday, May 15, 2019

I Am Found of Them Who Seek After Me

The Holy Spirit inspired Joseph Smith to make thousands of changes to the Old and New Testaments. However, Joseph only made a few changes in the Book of Isaiah. Here is the most significant clarification.

KJV Isaiah 65: 1-2

I am sought of them that asked not for me;
I am found of them that sought me not:

I said, Behold me, behold me,
unto a nation that was not called by my name.

I have spread out my hands all the day
unto a rebellious people,
which walketh in a way that was not good,
after their own thoughts

I know that GOD is greater than anyone can conceive. However, these 2 verses push the envelope of incredulity to the breaking point. Why would a person be rewarded by GOD for not trying to find Him?
Why would He bless people who do not care about His laws?

As it turns out, JEHOVAH is being misquoted courtesy of someone or some group in the past that altered the text. For those who think that other modern versions correct this mistake, think again. The problem is the underlying Hebrew which states for verse 1:

I allowed myself to be sought by those who did not ask.
I allowed myself to be found by those who did not seek.

Here is what it should say:

JST Isaiah 65: 1-2

I am found of them who seek after me,
I give unto all them that ask of me;
I am not found of them that sought me not,
or that inquireth not after me.

I said unto my servant,
Behold me, look upon me;
I will send you unto a nation 
that is not called after my name,
for I have spread out my hands all the day
to a people who walketh not in my ways,
and their works are evil and not good,
and they walk after their own thoughts.

GOD was so frustrated with ancient Israel that He had to send people like Isaiah, Jeremiah and Lehi to them because they did not deserve to hear from Him directly. For the modern world the same thing is happening. Just do not mistake anyone headquartered in Salt Lake City, the Vatican, or Mecca with being authorized by GOD. True prophets always come from outside the predominant religion of the area. 

I, like most people, struggle with the Book of Isaiah. Now, thanks to Joseph, I struggle over one less problematic passage.
It was CHRIST Himself who told the righteous descendants of Lehi "great are the words of Isaiah"* and now they are even greater.

*3 Nephi 23:1