Thursday, December 12, 2019

"O God, where art thou?"

Most of you will recognize the title as the first line of the first verse of section 121 of the Salt Lake Mormons version of the Doctrine and Covenants. It is the words of a prayer of the only true prophet of LDS Mormonism, Joseph Smith junior. 

Joseph Smith had been incarcerated based on the testimony of members of his own church. The most unkind cuts of all always come from those we know. Shakespeare was not wrong.

JESUS in his one of his many roles, this time as Comforter responds with the most majestic line in all of scripture. 

"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment.  (verse 7)

"And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; 
though shalt triumph over all thy foes." (verse 8)

"Thy friends do stand by thee, 
and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands."   (verse 9)

My goal is have JESUS call me "son" someday. I would really like my chances in the afterlife after that. Verse 9 is GOD's formula for knowing if you have a true friend. If they stand by you during times of trouble, then their hearts mirror the SAVIOR's. If they only call when they want something, then you know they are still trying to use satan's system of serve-me first.

I only have a couple of true friends besides my best friend, my wife. I cherish them more than anything other than my grandchildren. If you have a true friend make sure you do not lose them. 

The entire section in one of the most sublime written works in the history of this fallen planet. It is well worth reading repeatedly.
I can never get through it without becoming emotional. I know that emotions do not automatically equal revelation. I know that our emotions can trick us. But the LORD did say that He would give us revelation using our heads and our hearts. In essence He is using two witnesses from our own being to help make sure we are not being deceived.

Following the few sincere attempt of mine in my adult life to serve JESUS, there was almost always various attacks from satan that follow. Nothing yet to rival what a true person of GOD might face. satan uses some of his living minions to try and knock me out of spiritual and emotional balance. 

The best examples would be by students who have wanted to fight me. Parents who want to argue with me about grades and behavior. Family members who believe they are on their way to Heaven via the golden ticket of a temple recommend who question my insistence on a "JESUS only" policy. 


Most of you already know that any increase in light is going to by followed by attacks from the prince of darkness. Take courage, be of good cheer, and know that CHRIST is on your side. This life is going to be painful until the day you pass on. The more like JESUS you become, the more adversity you are going to have. 

No one suffered anything close to what CHRIST did, and He loved all of us enough to push through the infinite agony and eventually triumph.

Adversity sucks, but it will not last forever, unless you reject JESUS. Accept JESUS and it makes adversity easier to accept, because you know He is going to intercede in your behalf.