Friday, October 9, 2020

A Desolating Scourge

desolate (verb) desolated, desolating

1. to lay waste, devastate

2. to deprive of inhabitants, depopulate

There has been too much talk about Covid-19, and I am sorry to add to the total tonnage about this touchy subject. Some people are scared because their cousin died from it, and so they live in fear. Others do not know anyone who has succumbed to this virus, and so they party like it is 1999. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 

I feel this is serious illness, but not serious enough to suspend common sense. I am an out of shape 55 year old, and I have not yet gotten it, and if I do, I might die. That would put me in the minority of humans. Most people who get it, do not die. I feel for those who suffered from this even if they did not die. I feel for the families of those left behind. 

I also feel for those who have lost loved ones to any other tragic end.  I had a sister die of complications from Celiac disease. I miss her, but I do not expect governments to take drastic measures to protect us from wheat. 

There has been some talk in the Mormon world that this virus is part of the calamities of the last days. I would agree that the power grabs by every country on the planet (except Sweden) might be a sign of things to come. I would disagree that the virus is a "desolating scourge."

Desolating does not mean killing part of a population, it means you eliminate everyone. The Jews were supposed to make the Land of Canaan desolate, and when they did not finish the job, they triggered their own eventual demise. 

I have never met GOD, and I obviously do not speak for Him. I am fairly certain that if there is a desolating scourge to come, it will kill everyone GOD targets. Not just old people, and not just 1 or 2 or 3 out of every 100 people would get it. Lots of people.

When GOD unleashes a scourge that makes desolate, there will be no doubt in anyone's mind what is happening. There will be no debate. 

GOD is patient, until He isn't. Covid is serious, but it is not the end of the world. Stop worrying about something you cannot control like a virus, and start focusing on repenting and finding GOD.