Friday, November 1, 2019

Amos 7: GOD does not need to repent

There are 2 verses in Amos chapter 7 that are flawed in the King James Version, verses 3 and 6. Since they are almost identically flawed and identically corrected I will use just verse 6.

King James Amos 3:6

The Lord repented for this: 
This also shall not be, 
saith the Lord.

I know very little about GOD because I have never met him...yet. But I do know He does not have anything to repent of. Whether He was a GOD forever or became one later does not matter here. In either scenario, He is now flawless in His behavior and does not make mistakes. He does not sin.

Joseph Smith rectified this horrendous verse with the following:

Joseph Smith Translation Amos 3:6

And the Lord said, concerning Jacob, 
Jacob shall repent of his wickedness
therefore I will not utterly destroy him,
saith the Lord GOD.

I love how this clears up who is repenting (Jacob aka "Israel").

The message is that if we repent we can be blessed instead of cursed. The carrot and the stick is a fundamental part of the Gospel.
My mother Janet used to say when she was alive, "some people have to learn by feeling, because they cannot learn by hearing."

Sometimes we are motivated because of the fear of cursings, which is not a perfect situation. It is better than just sinning, but not ideal.
Let's call this stage one behavior.

Then we hopefully progress to seek for blessings from the LORD, which is better but still not ideal. This is stage two behavior.

Finally, we reach the stage of doing what GOD asks because we love Him. We are not concerned with fear or incentive. We trust GOD no matter what. Even if we are seemingly temporarily suffering when we may not have done anything to deserve it. The danger with stage 2 is that we might be doing well without deserving it, which is my take on some Mormon corridor folks. I am better off by the world's standards than 90 percent of people, but I do not attribute that to any righteousness on my part. 

I admit it that I am not at stage 3...yet. There are probably other stages that people smarter than myself can think of, but that is my take on things for now.